Heart Burn During Pregnancy
- Gut muscles are relaxed. Slow emptying of stomach.
- Stomach opening and exit rings are relaxed causing acid reflux.
- Growing baby pushing the stomach up.
Even if water burns:
The mantra –
- Rule of half – half chapati, half sandwich, half banana.
- Solids and liquids at 30 minutes interval.
- Sitting in vajra asana after meals.
- Eating something every 2 hours for example two spoon ice cream, a biscuit, half fruit.
- No acidic foods like tea, coffee, juice or spicy snack.
- Midnight snacking is must such as ice cream again, mango, fruit cream, some mithai, peanut butter.
- Don’t brush. First eat, wait for 15 minutes, and then brush.
- No drink on getting up from bed in the morning (no coconut water, lemon honey nothing) Munch on something dry like wafers, toast, etc.
- Antacids are safe, pudin hara, ENO or Digene but not along with iron. Iron absorption is blocked with antacid.
- Ranitidine, pantoprazole, omeprazole is offered when acidity is severe, can be taken safely.
- Rule out gall bladder stones (upper abdominal ultrasound).
- Rule out hiatus hernia (gastroenterologist).
- Vitamin B 12 supplements to relieve gastric ulcer.
- Avoid stress, sleep well.
- Use laxative for easy and regular pooping.
- Lemon in warm water, green tea and probiotic (curd) helps.
- Sleep with head held high on pillows.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
Sit upright; you are about to launch a baby!